Thursday, December 11, 2008

MY bench.



Camping Stoia, just outside of the city of Pola, in Croatia. Place where I was born and lived for the first six years of my life, before moving away.

I came back every summer for many years, until 1997 when I moved (again) to Texas, USA.

This photo was taken last summer, when I had the opportunity to spend a few days there, truly "back home".

I otherwise grew up in Trieste, and for many aspects that city is home as well.

Istria and Pola, however, are encoded in my genes, and I cannot escape my destiny of, someday, going back.
If anyone has read "Gli dei torneranno" by Sgorlon, and its message, then you will know why.

That bench is waiting. That sea is waiting. Someday, I will be back, fishing line, cold beer, smile.

I can almost smell it ...

3 comments:

rob said...

Spetemo la pension e se vedemo là!!!!
Union o lasko? ;)

Bolina Stretta said...

Veramente, quando ero a Trieste ho avuto l' opportunita' di assaggiare una birra cecoslovacca buonissima, di cui non mi ricordo il nome (ero troppo occupato a bere) .

Era a quel "internet cafe" in citta vecchia, all' inizio di via madonnina del mare, sulla destra.
Posto veramente simpatico e la birra buonissima. Altre buone, la Spaten alla spina. Tra la Union e la Lasko, scelgo Lasko.

Ciao !

rob said...

Credo che ti riferisci al Knulp. Internet, fornitissima libreria di cinema e musica, prodotti solidali..... xe quel?

Ottima scelta: Lasko fin che casco!